Let's hear it for green bean casserole!
We have MADE IT!
THE HOLIDAYS ARE HERE.
The time of cheese boards, dessert wine, and lots of meat.
But trust me, whether you're a vegan or striving to incorporate meatless meals into your week that still make the belly happy, this goodness is for you.
As always, I'm excited to share one of my holiday favorites with a healthy twist.
I'm no pro chef, but I love sharing these recipes with you, showing how easy it is to live a vegan lifestyle that is tasty & nourishing.
So Jared's birthday rolled around before Thanksgiving time. I decided to take on the task of making the well known family favorite; green bean casserole. The one with canned mushroom soup, cream, cheese, and those crunchy fried onions we all know and love. So I immediately jumped onto Minimalist Baker's site, along with other fellow foodies to get an idea of where to start (thanks friends.) I got the idea and started to build from there. I wanted to steer away from high sodium soup and create big flavor. As a newbie to vegan cooking you sometimes feel cooking can be one big risk, but I was passionate and willing, and at the end of the day this casserole was on point (plus Jared was happy.) Trader Joe's is a must for low cost ingredients. I had a lot of the ingredients in the fridge or pantry already. Yes, you may say that this doesn't taste the same. But at the end of day, I felt good about what I made, and the birthday boy was happy!!!
This recipe is easy and perfect for making ahead for special occasions, potlucks, or for the fam. Lets get to cooking!
GREEN BEANIE CASSEROLE
Prep: 20 | Cook: 30
1 medium sized head of cauliflower
1 - 24oz bag of green beans (fresh or frozen)
2 - 10oz containers of baby bella mushrooms (your choice)
1 large white onion
1/2 of a lemon (optional)
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 diced shallot
3 sprigs of thyme
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp dried or freshly cut rosemary
1 tbsp of onion powder
1 1/2 cups almond milk
2/3 cup organic vegetable broth
2 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter (Earth Balance for life)
1 can fried onion crunchies (no animal product)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Take this time to boil a large pot of water for your green beans. Once boiling, add beans in for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain, then place beans in a bowl of ice cold water. Drain when cooled. Place to side.
2. Sauce time!
Place chopped cauliflower, onion powder, almond milk, salt & pepper into a large pot, bring mixture to a boil at medium heat. COVER. Reduce heat then let that goodness simmer for 7 minutes or until fork tender. (Still crunchy)
*Side note: I added 2/3 cup of vegetable broth for extra flavor into the pot while steaming.
3. While steaming the cauliflower, place a medium size saucepan on medium high heat & add 1 tbsp of oil of your choice. Place the shallots & garlic and cook till lightly brown (keep watch to prevent the burn.) Once the garlic is fragrant, add diced white onion + diced mushrooms, seasoning to your liking with salt, pepper, rosemary, & thyme. Cook until onions are lightly brown & mushrooms have released their water. Place to the side.
4. Back to the cauliflower sauce: Once tender, proceed to place cauliflower in a high speed blender, puree until smooth & place back into the original pot.
*Let cauliflower cool before placing in blender (the pressure will build & cause the puree to go everywhere. Why yes, this happened to us.)
Bring puree to slight simmer. Add the mushroom & onion mixture into the cauliflower puree. Taste test & see if you need more seasoning. (salt, thyme, rosemary, pepper,etc. I added in half of lemon for acidity.) Let simmer for 5 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken.
*I'm very much a taster so these measurements are basic. Give or take
5. Toss in half of the crunchy onions & all green beans into puree. Mix. Then place into lightly greased casserole dish. Spread & top off with the other half of the crunchy onions.
6. Stick that bad boy in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown & bubbly.
7. SIT DOWN & ENJOY YOUR AWESOME GUILT FREE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE!!!!
Tweak this recipe to your liking my friends.
SUBSCRIBE to stay up to date on what's going on in my world & to be apart of the community! We would love to have you.
It's so important that we try to incorporate those awesome veggies into our diet. The animals will appreciate it. Let's start with one thing to help this earth thrive. No one said vegan meals had to be quinoa & kale. Bring this to a family gathering & blow everyone's mind!