What does Winter call for?
This creamy alfredo is a perfect Winter time meal - great for a family, loved one, or to just keep for yourself.
One thing that was important to keep with this recipe was the creaminess that we all love in a good alfredo. A combination of cannelili beans and cashew cream sauce made a great combination that also packs a bunch of nutrients. To be honest, I grew up not loving pasta dishes that much (weird right) but when I met Jared, he always loved a good white sauce dish. So here we are, diving into a vegan alfredo. To make it more appealing for me, I added lemon juice to give it a tangy flavor that compliments the garlic-y goodness + a pinch of rosemary for a Winter-y taste. I'm an herb gal so I'm never shy with adding greenery to a dish. As always, this recipe is more so just a guide. Vegan cooking is one huge experiment, so feel free to explore different methods or ingredients. I'm just a silly girl who finds it therapeutic to cook in the kitchen & wants to help others explore a more conscious way of eating.
This guilt-free dish is packed with:
& so much more.
NOTES: For those cutting out high-fat foods from their diet or allergic to nuts - feel free to stick to the beans alone. It'll change the texture of the sauce but nothing substantial - still tasty tasty. As for the veggies, I added roasted cherry tomatoes, asparagus & lemon juice. Feel free to remix the veggies! Spinach would be nice, or parsley instead of rosemary. Do your thang!
Share your experience with me on Instagram if you end up making this dish. I always love hearing from you fine folks! Ideas/inpsiration welcome!
LET'S GET TO THE GOODS
16 ounce bag of penne pasta
4 cans of white beans
1 and 1/2 cup soaked unsalted cashews
2 small lemons
1 large white onion
4 tbsp of minced garlic
2 sprigs of rosemary (finely chopped)
1 cup veggie broth
4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
2 tbsp garlic powder
pepper to taste
pink himalayan sea salt to taste
red chili flakes (optional)
Oil Free / Dairy Free / Soy Free / Cruelty Free / Vegan
(high speed blender is helpful or immersion blender)
- Soak cashews in water overnight - or for 3 hours. Rinse white beans. Set aside.
- Place cherry tomatoes in oven @ 350 for 30 minutes, or until slightly charred. Save for the end.
- Heat pan on medium and place diced onions & minced garlic in pan. Caramelize. Once done, set aside. (add oil or vegan butter if you so choose, we didn't)
- Bring large pot of pasta to boil cook noodles of your preference, and set aside.
- In a high speed blender, blend soaked cashews until creamy and then add all of the white beans & onion/garlic mixture, blend again until smooth. Place mixture in a medium sized pot on medium-low heat. Add seasoning/juice of two lemons and veggie broth. Let it cook here for 5 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Salt/pepper to taste.
- Assemble by mixing sauce and noodles together, and mixing in the veggies you desire. Sprinkle rosemary on top. You're ready to eat!
I love to hear from you beautiful people. If you haven't joined the tribe, we would love to have you (subscribe below.) Yumminess like this sent straight your inbox is sure to brighten your day. (along with more positive tidbits.)
As always, be the light, spread the light.