Also, flexibility is only one aspect of yoga, despite what you may see. It involves breaking a mental sweat & focusing on yourself. Transforming the mind, finding your breath, healing, finding purpose, coping with anxiety/stress, meditation, strengthening & creating self awareness (and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.) The physical/mental benefits are endless!
TIPS AND TRICKS
"Sometimes when we leave our ego at the door, magic happens."
1. First class? Check out gentle yoga. Yoga basics. It allows you to break down postures at a slower pace. You don't have to know the Sanskrit names either. Studios will also recommend classes that fit your personal needs.
2. Use the blocks, straps, blankets & bolsters. They help you with form & support you. I use them every class no matter what.
3. Practice. Practice. Practice. In your living room, gym, watching yoga classes on Youtube. That way if you’re not feeling a big class room, you can feel comfortable with your surroundings in a secure space.
4. Try your best to not be your own worst enemy! Relax! Don't beat yourself up. Respect your body & forgive yourself.
5. Go with friends. Sometimes embarking on something new makes us feel vulnerable. Friends help ease our nerves.
6. You must BREATHE! I would forget to breathe in power yoga class and would hold my breath which took away from ability to move & relax. I would ignore my instructor. So when they say “find your breathe” there is a reason. Trust in the cues. If you don't understand, feel free to ask the teacher to break it down!
7. Explore what class/teachers work for you. Every teacher has a different style & speed.
8. Notify your teacher of any injures so they can work with you & give you modifications. My warrior 1 pose is going to look different then Susie’s warrior 1 pose. No need to be cookie cutter. Modifications are everything & they make poses accessible.
9. Realize that yoga is your practice. Everyone in the class is there for different reasons & is on their own journey. There is no judgment or test at the end. (Only Savasana, the best thing ever.)
10. HAVE FUN! LET LOOSE!